7 Days in the Western Mediterranean
A 19 decks wonder, the largest Freestyle Cruising ship, Norwegian Epic, by the Norwegian Cruise Line, is all set for a Western Mediterranean voyage this April. It has an accommodation facility for over 4,200 passengers and offers spellbinding, never before features on a cruise like an Aqua Park, a circus, a casino, a real ice bar, New Wave solo studio staterooms and much more.
In April 2012, the Epic will sail in the Western Mediterranean from Barcelona in Italy to Marseille in France. It will be a 7 night’s voyage.
The itinerary of the Epic’s April 2012 voyage:
- Sailing from: Barcelona, Spain
- Sailing to: Marseille, France
- Sailing Date: 29th April 2012
- Through: 6th May 2012
- Book By: 23rd April 2012 up to 7pm
- No. of Nights: 7 nights
|4||Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy||7am||7pm|
|5||Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy||7am||7pm|
Places to visit
The city boasts of rich archaeological marvels and remains of the ancient Roman city which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The places to visit:
- House of the Vettii: This place has some marvelous frescos including the one of Priapus-God of fertility. The other parts of building illustrates cupids, couples making love and many mythological characters.
- Temple of Apollo: The temple has the oldest remains dating back to 575 BC which include Etruscan items.
- Forum: It was the center of public life in the olden days. Many important religious, government and business buildings surrounded it.
- Lupanar: An ancient brothel having pornographic frescoes at the entrance of each room. Indicating the specialty offered.
- The Ground Surface: The ground surface is made up of small tiles called cateyes. These little tiles reflect the moonlight and gives light at the night so that the people can see where they are walking during the night time.
The city has a rich culture to showcase. Here are a few places that might be interesting -
- Forte Michelangelo: It is a huge fort whose upper part is designed by Michelangelo. Built in the ancient Roman style, it is an architectural wonder.
- The Rocca: A marvelous castle which was re-built in the late 16th century.
- Cathedral of San Francesco d’Assisi: The cathedral was built by the Franciscans over a small church in 1610. The current structure was built in the 18th century.
- Terme Taurine: Are the baths which were used by the Romans in the olden days.
Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy:
Described as the ‘ideal town’ during the Italian Renaissance, the city surrounded by fortified walls and crossed by canals. The places to visit:
- Museo Mascagnano: The museum contains memorabilia, documents and operas of great composers like Pietro Mascagni.
- Terrazza Mascagni: It is a walkway, named in the honor of Pietro Mascangni, is divided from the sea with a handrail.
- Sanctuary of Montenero: The sactuary is dedicated to the Patron saint of Tuscany.
- Monumento dei Quattro mori: ‘Monument of the four Moors’ is dedicated to the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Ferdinando I de’Medici which is the most important monument of Livorno.
- Piazza della Repubblica: The square is built over a large canal and is actually a bridge.
The deepest natural harbour of any port in the Mediterranean Sea, the city is home to some wonderful churches and cathedrals.
- Eglise Saint-Michel: The Saint Michael’s church, situated in the heart of the old town, was built in the 1750’s in Italian style.
- Citadel: Built in 1557, houses the Town Hall, 3 museums, a convention centre and an open air theatre.
- Rue Obscure: ‘Dark Street’- a passageway under the front houses of the harbor built in 1260.
- Plage des Marinieres: The main beach of the city is located in the north of the bay.
- Plage de la Darse: A smaller, pebble beach, located behind the main harbor of La Darse.
The 2nd largest city in France and the largest French city on the Mediterranean coast.
- La Vielle Charite: An architectural marvel designed by the Puget brothers was originally built as alms house but now is a museum and gallery of Asian & African art, bookshops and café.
- Musee Cantini: A museum of modern art that showcases artworks by Marseille and several works of Picasso.
- Centre Bourse: The main shopping centre.
- Museum of Contemporary Art: The museum is dedicated to the European & American arts.
- Callanques & Marseillevryre: A wild mountainous area along the Mediterranean coast is a spectacle of natural beauty.